Dental Check Up in Spring Hill, FL
The ADA reports that 50% of individuals over 50 years old have some form of gum disease. Therefore, it is important that we all maintain a clean and healthy mouth to prevent decay and gum disease. At Heinecke Family Dentistry, we offer periodic cleanings and check-ups to help you achieve optimal oral health. Along with these check-ups, we perform oral cancer screenings to catch early signs of soft and hard tissue problems. However, this does not replace good home care practices and we would love to help you create better habits for clean and healthy teeth!
In order to fully examine your teeth for decay and the bony structures for potential problems, we perform periodic x-rays. Our digital sensors not only instantly display images to increase your level of comfort and efficiently manage your time with us, but also greatly reduce your x-ray exposure and increase the quality of our diagnosis. The risk for dental x-rays is already extremely low, in fact you would recieve more radiation from a walk on the beach!
Occlusal Stents and Mouthguards
Have trouble with grinding your teeth and jaw pain? Need to be fitted with a dental appliance for medically diagnosed sleep apnea? Play a contact sport and desire a custom mouthguard? We offer many different occlusal stents and guards to help you with any of these and other needs.
We know that for many individuals, tooth sensitivity is a debilitating problem. You no longer have the ability to enjoy the foods and drinks that you were used to eating and drinking. Often this is a result of gum recession and exposed root surfaces. Other times it can be the result of exposed dentin (the inner layer of the tooth) from either decay or erosion. No matter the fundamental cause, we offer treatments tailored to the situation from fillings to desensitizing prescriptions and in-office medicaments. Do not continue to live with this pain, let us try to provide you with relief.
Preventative dental care is important throughout your life, no matter your age. By practicing good oral hygiene at home and scheduling regular checkups with your dentist, you can help keep your smile bright and healthy for many years to come. Here are a few simple ways that you can prevent the build-up of plaque and cavities:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day with a soft-bristled toothbrush. Use fluoride toothpaste to remove food particles and plaque from the tooth surfaces. Also be sure to brush the top surface of your tongue; this will remove any extra plaque-causing food particles, and help keep your breath fresh!
- Clean between your teeth by flossing at least once a day. You can also use a mouthwash to help kill bacteria and freshen your breath. Decay-causing bacteria can linger between teeth where toothbrush bristles can’t reach. Floss and mouthwash will help remove plaque and food particles from between the teeth and under the gum line.
- Eat a balanced diet, and try to avoid extra-sugary treats. Nutritious foods such as raw vegetables, plain yogurt, cheese, or fruit can help keep your smile healthy.
- Remember to schedule regular checkups with your dentist every six months for a professional teeth cleaning.
- Ask your dentist about dental sealants, protective plastic coatings that can be applied to the chewing surfaces of the back teeth where decay often starts.
- If you play sports, be sure to ask your dentist about special mouthguards designed to protect your smile.
If it’s been six months since your last dental checkup, then it’s time to contact our Spring Hill Dentist office and schedule your next appointment!